Sunday, July 01, 2007

6 Month Reflections

Today Benjamin is half-way through his first trip around the sun. That's about 180 days more than I expected during those first few hours after he came into the world. Every one of those days has been a gift from God; though I have often forgotten to acknowledge it. Here are a few things I've been thinking about now that Ben has made it this far.

Ben's first five months have been the hardest five months of my entire life up to this point (followed closely by our time in Abilene). At times it felt like God had given Satan permission to beat our marriage with a shovel. Having a child with health problems put stress on our marriage that I was totally unprepared for. I know that your prayers helped us through those days, and the last three or four weeks really have been much better.

Ouma Kay is an incredible person. Her care for Ben, Adrienne, and me has been tremendous and has lightened our load considerably. What a blessing to have grandparents close by.

My faults seem magnified when compared with Ben's innocence. I desperately want him to succeed where I have failed and be so much more than I am. I want to teach him that the only way that can happen is by putting everyone else above yourself and following Christ with all your heart. May my example never be a stumbling block as Ben learns to follow God.

Anyway, here are a few more photos for your viewing pleasure:

Benjamin carries on his father's tradition of being just a bit awkward around the ladies. I suppose direct eye contact is something we'll be working on during his seventh month. He's probably feeling a little pressure after Shane "The Matchmaker" Coffman announced Ben's upcoming marriage to Olivia in front of the entire congregation the Sunday after she was born.

This is one of those pictures I've really been wanting since Ben was born - four generations of firstborn Gatewoods. Great-grandpa was in town with us this weekend to celebrate his 87th birthday.

And finally, this is a picture of our first top-secret campaign strategy meeting. Ben did most of the talking and decided the voter apathy that was apparent from our poll earlier in the week is a sign that the country may just be indifferent enough to allow a 6 month old and a cat to run the whole show. He already has uncle Hal working on the official campaign T-shirt.

Thanks for your love and prayers over these past six months,
Whit, Adrienne, and El Presidente

7 comments:

Shane Coffman said...

By the look in his eyes, it does appear that I stunned the boy, doesn't it?

- The Matchmaker

ann said...

Dearest Gatewood Trio,

Let me just say that your son is gorgeous, and his first encounter with the opposite sex is priceless. :) I'm sure he'll land a woman as good as his momma. Well, almost. :) And I love the pic of 4 generations. I need to get up there and see you guys again. Love you all!

ann

Anonymous said...

Whit, thank you for such a touching entry today and very thoughtful. Though you are clearly enjoying the play mat there, please remember it is intended for Ben. Be nice and share. =)

Jeanne said...

Whit your blog has meant so much to me and I have held you, Andrienne, and Ben close in my heart and in my prayers. Your encouragement meant more than you can know a couple of Sundays ago about our sweet Abijah being in the NICU. It meant so much to see the confidence in your and Adrienne’s eyes that everything would work out for the best. Indeed it has and we are rejoicing over God’s care of Abijah. It was your example that gave me the inspiration to blog about some of the humorous moments in the NICU. Thanks for being a great example of faith, perseverance, and joy.

Amanda said...

Guess what, we've met before. Here's the proof: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/jeremysfirefly/DSCF0056Small.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/jeremysfirefly/DSCF0054Small.jpg

Anonymous said...

Ben is so much bigger now! Thanks for putting great pics. We hope we can visit you guys again! Love you all!!

LYNN said...

Whit, I love you guys. My baby girl just turned 7 months. I almost lost her twice to repiratory failure. Hang on tight to him. He is a gift.