Sunday, March 18, 2007

Nemesis

It amuses me that Benjamin's most sinister enemy during his first three months of life has been his own hand. Sure it looks so little and innocent, but when left unattended, it becomes an eye-gouging, face-scratching, hair-pulling, ear-pinching, nose-picking, daddy-punching claw of destruction. Imagine its power if we could harness it for good and not evil.

Ben and the claw had their first chance to meet with the church two weeks ago. The claw was on its best behavior, and Benjamin managed to keep from crying the whole time he was up front being introduced to the congregation. Shane gave us the opportunity to thank everyone for all their prayers and generosity, and we all gave God the glory for his mercy and power in Ben's life. After we sat down, Ben was quickly ejected from the auditorium for fussing, but we had a pretty good ten minute run of happiness before he had to leave.

The big news is Noel and Kay's arrival in Oklahoma last week. I joke about outlaws, but things have gotten much better around here since they showed up. It's a huge blessing to have grandparents around who can help us take care of our little guy. Here are a few of Ben's reactions to the new arrangements.

10 comments:

diana said...

Glad to hear the Oupa and Ouma are there. Kay please let me know your new address.

Brenda said...

Those pictures are priceless. Happy to see his beautiful face. Hope to see him in person someday!

Heather said...

Man - you are seriously one of the best and most hilarious writers in existence. I think I just misspelled hilarious and existence. What's even funnier is that when I went back to check the sentence, I misspelled 'and'.

You and Ben are a good team... he supplies you with the material to write about, and backs you up with photoshoots. I love it!

God continues to bless and enrich our lives through all of you. :-D

Ashley said...

Those pictures are precious!! I love all the little reactions on his face! It seems to me that Mr. Benjamin has a HUGE personality!! I am so happy to see him doing well...and growing! God has truely done amazing things for this little guy and your family!

Mr. Corum said...

Well, regardless of whatever else Benjamin may or may not have inherited from you Whit, it is obvious to me that he has your mouth...the second picture, is he laughing, or awaiting a giant hoagie? Only he may ever know...love seeing little Ben with all of his faces, and even "the claw" keep 'em coming.

vickiecorum said...

Hi Whit and Adrienne and of course Mr Ben alia the claw. I am so glad that the church family got to see him. The pictures are priceless. But Whit, if you are ever of a mind to unclaim Ben, forget, he looks so much like you, even his wonderful expressions!!!! I know you shudder to think. Speaking as a grandma, I am glad that they are there and can be of help. It makes a grandma proud. How are you and Adriene. Are you getting more that 1 hour a night or still operating on the nap philosophy.
As to the claw, beware, when they discover hands and feet there are other dangers to daddy. God bless and keep you. Always remember that you are all in our prayers. love ya, Joe, Vickie, Aaron :) :) :)

NandL said...

What a sweetie! He has SOOOOO much hair!
Laura H...

Anonymous said...

Ben is so cute!! Doesn't he look a lot like his dad?? I love his hair. Can't wait to visit you when I go back.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I found your site through a friend. I have been following your story and have been keeping you all in my prayers. You have a precious little boy there! It looks like you are doing a great job taking care of the little guy. I wish you lots of blessings and happiness in the future. Love your little one! Give him lots of hugs and kisses and teach him about God, as you know, you never know what tomorrow may bring. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! Sincerely, Amanda

rici said...

He's like a little clone. Scary. Your poor wife! Having two Whits! He looks like a playful little kid. Those are the fun ones! Rici