Monday, January 28, 2008

Mystery

I finally got around to reading Phillip Yancey's book "Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?" It felt good to finish something with a little more depth than Goodnight Moon (though I must say I wouldn't have minded an occasional pop-up page or velcro pig to keep things interesting). The book brought up some issues that I had tucked away in the months after Ben was born.

Many people associated with Oklahoma Christian University were praying for a little girl named Harper Hawley around the time that Ben was in the hospital. I didn't know the Hawley's well, but I was touched by all the struggles they were going through as their baby's health slowly deteriorated.

At times it felt strange to write about all of the answers to prayer we were witnessing while another faithful Christian family had to deal with God's silence and the eventual loss of their child. Both babies had legions of people praying round the clock for their healing, yet God allowed one to live and one to die. How can we say our prayers truly make a difference when we see seemingly arbitrary behavior on God's part? We serve a mysterious God. All I know is that I come home every day to a smiling, healthy baby boy who should not be alive after everything that happened to him. That fact prevents me from saying that prayer doesn't make a difference even though I understand so little about prayer.

On Friday, Ben goes in for his next round of surgery. Dr. Digoy will be taking a look at his vocal folds to see if they're still blocking his airway. If they are, he'll have to do some delicate work to cut back the vocal folds. We're hoping that he may even be able to tell us whether Ben will be able to speak someday. I don't know how prayer works, but I have seen the influence of your past prayers and ask that you continue to pray for Ben's complete healing. The two weeks after Ben's previous surgeries have been very stressful (little sleep, constant suctioning), and if you could pray for peace in our house during that time, we would love it.

Well, Jenny Connell has outdone herself again with Ben's 1st birthday photos. Her ability to bring out all of Ben's expressions is fantastic. I leave you with some of her latest work.















9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Whit! I love the cake photos. She really does a great job with these.

I think about the prayer issue too... and am also unsure. Without a doubt D and I will continue to pray for you three though.

Oh and I heard about Ben's first kiss. And I told the Whitsetts about it too. :) Made us all smile big enough to split our faces.

diana said...

What a beautiful young man he is. I can see he is true lover of sweets.

I wonder about how God answers some prayers and others seem to go unanswered, but then I see the pictures of your Ben and know that he works such miracles. I will continue to keep all of ya'll in my thoughts and prayers.

Vanessa said...

I love those pictures! They are precious!

Anonymous said...

I love all the photos!! He is looking good!
We are praying for you and will pray hard on Friday. Tell us how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Whit,
I believe God answers our prayers, but we don't always hear. After Adam died I wrote the following.
For 28 years & 8 days, I prayed for Adam and asked God to keep him safe and now I find myself struggling with His answer. I think that most of the time we see ourselves as earthly children of God & that is how we pray. But God sees us as His eternal children and that is how He answers. God has answered my prayer & made Adam safe for all eternity. It is amazing how His answer causes fo much pain & sorrow to this earthly child of God and at the same time gives so much hope & comfort to this eternal child of God.
It is hard to live in this world and see ourselves as eternal children of God.
Ben is precious!
kathy langford

James & Andrea said...

The pictures are completely darling. I LOVE those curls. The close up shot is my favorite. What a beautiful boy.

Sorry to get technical: Ben obviously loves the taste of the cake, but he can't swallow it yet, right? Does this create a problem with him drooling?

Your story has touched me so much. I've been reading and praying about Ben ever since Heather shared your story on her blog. I know that there must be so many challenges in caring for and raising Ben, but he could not be in better hands. Your faith and focus on parents is so real. I have so much respect for you both. I just know that Ben will shine God's glory through out his life.

God bless you.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

That last picture is the best! The look of amazement and joy made me laugh out loud. I need to find a cake that makes me feel like that! :-)

C said...

Adorable pictures!! We will be praying for you and your family.

Tanya Blair said...

Whit and Adrienne--Many prayers for you guys this weekend and continued for several weeks. We are definitely praying and believe in God's healing touch. May He go with you and lead you through the waters . . .
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; Isaiah 43:2-3

Love you guys!!!!!!!
tanya