Sunday, April 20, 2008

Talk to Me

Sometimes I'm not exactly sure what I'm expecting from God when I pray. Some people say that God speaks to them or directly specifies which way they should go. Others say that God gives them a peace about the decision they're making. And others say that they pray for God simply to guide them through the wisdom and logic he has given to them.

This far on my journey in life, I've never had God speak to me directly (though I've had several instances where God has seemed to hit me over the head with a ton of bricks as I have read and been convicted by his Word.) And I guess there have been times, especially during Ben's first month in the hospital, that I felt God providing me with extra measure of his peace. For the most part though in my experience, God appears to act more subtly through a combination of different people and situations.

We have decided to go with the option to widen Ben's airway by grafting a piece of Ben's rib cartilage into the ring of cartilage around the voice box. The procedure will be done on Tuesday, April 29th and will take about 6 hours. They expect Ben to be in the hospital for about a week to make sure that the cartilage fuses properly and doesn't slip out of place. God hasn't told us to make this decision, and I don't really feel a peace about it either. Is it possible to say that you trust God will work things out even if you don't feel a peace about a decision you are asking him to help you with? Some might say that silence on God's part means that you should just wait for God to act and make things clear. I think Proverbs 20:24 sums it up pretty well, "
A person’s steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand their own way?"

Well, that's enough of that for an evening. On with the Benjamin videos!


4 comments:

Tanya Blair said...

Whit, Adrienne, and Ben--
For this reason we will kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. We will pray that out of his glorious riches he may STRENGTHEN you with POWER through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts THROUGH FAITH. And we pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have POWER, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be FILLED to the measure of ALL the fullness of God!
Now to him who is able to do IMMEASURABLY MORE than all we ask or imagine, according to his POWER that is at work within us, to him be GLORY in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!

God will be with you and He will supply all your needs. Just be still and let Him work in you! To God be the glory forever. Keep your heads high, the eyes of your heart open, and walk with God.

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.
Ephesians 3:14-21, Deut 31:8, Psalms 33:20-22
We serve a mighty God!! Believe, Pray, Trust, and Keep Walking!!

We love you guys!
ctkt

Anonymous said...

I've missed reading your updates on Benjamin. As a nursing instructor in maternal-newborn fundamentals, I always find medical marvels (with God's help) fascinating. I'll be thinking of your precious one as April 29 approaches.

Zoomi said...

I hope everything goes well. Thank you for sharing what is going on.

Ben is so cute in the video! It's sad that I have no audio on my office PC though...

Anonymous said...

Ben is so darling! I love the video and reading about your decision. He will be going to have his surgery in awhile today. As I say my prayers tonight, I will certainly pray for him, his parents and his medical team. I pray God will be with you during those 6 hours of waiting and give you the strength and comfort to sustain you all during this time. My regards to Kay and Noel.