Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Between Iraq and a Fireplace

Good morning from sunny Irbil, Iraq. You know you're not in Kansas anymore when your flight from Jordan to Iraq leaves at 1:00AM, the man taking your boarding pass is busy puffing on a cigarette as he tears your ticket stub, and you arrive at 3:00 AM with the temperature at a balmy 95 degrees. At least the dead grass here reminds me of home and my own front yard. One other interesting travel note - I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, but people on our flights seemed to have very little interest in locking the door when they went to the restroom, which led to some spectacularly awkward encounters and priceless facial expressions.

With the flying out of the way, we've got a full week of teaching sessions scheduled with the Kurdzman church, and later on in the week we'll be distributing Bibles, shoes, and Story of Jesus booklets to children at the local schools. All is going well so far, and I'm blessed to be traveling with such experienced older brothers in Christ.

Well, it's 8:00 AM now and I'm going to get a few z's in before things get going this afternoon. I'll let you know of any other amusing intercultural exchanges that take place. Please keep Adrienne and the Benjamite in your prayers these next two weeks.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It's great to hear from you, Whit! I hope the rest of the trip goes well. Take care.
Michelle

Zoomi said...

Have safe and wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

NandL said...

*BUZZ*!!
Even though I often don't know what to say, I wanted to let you know that I have been stopping by every so often (translate as almost every day! hahaha!). Think I'll try to BUZZ you from time to time just so you know I DO read your blog! ^-^
Laura H...
P.S. Have a great trip!