Thursday, August 07, 2008

Baby Circles

Today we're home a day early and happy to be sleeping in our own beds this evening. Unfortunately, we're home early because Ben wasn't able to breathe well through the new trach so they put the old one back in this morning and sent us on our way. This leaves us back at the same point we were at back in March with the decision on whether to use the laser to remove part of Ben's vocal cord, widen Ben's airway by grafting some rib cartilage into the cartilage ring around his voice box, or just wait and see what happens.

The doctor said that he has recently started using Botox on patients who need a cartilage graft so that the muscles won't compress the cartilage that is being inserted. I always thought I still had a few more years before I had to give the Botoxing talk to my son.

In other news, we celebrated 7 years of marriage last week by bypassing Bartlesville and heading on up to Kansas City for the weekend. Since the name Kansas comes from an Indian word which means "Free Art Museums", our photos will center around this theme.

This picture combines two things I hate - giant spiders and staged photographs that take way too long to set up. (I believe this was take four).


Yes, those really are 20-foot-tall shuttlecocks that you see in the distance.


And my new favorite sculpture - it's kinda like Thinking Man meets Salvador Dali.


One other interesting bit of news - it's time for World Compassion's periodic trip to check up on our overseas projects. Our media guy is not able to go this time so at the end of the month I'll be off on a two week trip to film the work that our ministry supports in northern Iraq and Afghanistan. God has blessed me with this fantastic opportunity so please pray that all goes well and that time flies for Adrienne and Ben while I'm gone.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Prayers for Ben and where to go next with his breathing, for the family while you are traveling and for you to be at peace with staged photos and giant spiders.
Be careful, Be safe, and have a great experience.

Kelly T said...

Hey guys! This is Kelly (Eroh) Tyson - I came across your blog through Lori. Ben is absolutely beautiful - what gorgeous hair!! I had no idea about everything he's gone through. I'm a speech-pathologist but have never heard of this happening! Your faith is encouraging - Ben and I will say a prayer for litte Ben!!