Saturday, February 17, 2007

Baby 2.0

Note: Management does not take responsibility for any of the following comments written while Whit was under the influence of pain medication prescribed to help him in his battle against the dreaded shingles. Please proceed at your own risk. One other thing, if he asks you to scratch his back, just say no.

It's been a while since we last talked. If you wouldn't mind too much, could you scratch my back for a second? No? Adrienne wouldn't either. What is it with you people?

On Thursday, Benjamin went in for his first post-hospital upgrade. He is now the proud owner of a mickey button. Why it's called a mickey button, I do not know, but it's basically a gas cap for Ben's tummy. Previously, he had a foot-long tube coming out of his stomach that was always getting caught on things and was generally a nuisance. Now we just pop the cap, hook up a tube, poor in the milk, and pop the cap back on. These things should be standard-issue equipment for kids - very cool. I like to think God gave us a kid with the options package included: bonus air-intake mechanism, bonus fuel-intake mechanism, and he threw the bonus hair in free of charge.

With everything we've gone through over the past month or two, I'm embarrassed that I haven't bragged on how awesome my employer has been this whole time. I'm the IT guy for a ministry called World Compassion that brings the gospel to countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, China, and Myanmar that are generally hostile to Christianity. We do this by providing humanitarian aid, distributing Bibles and Christian literature, and supporting house churches. If you ever get down about what's going on in Iraq, stop by the site some time and see how you can help get the good news to people whose lives are shaken by the bad news we see every day. Anyway, my boss has been so flexible with my schedule, and we are still eating off of the restaurant gift card the ministry gave to us. I want to thank John and Dara for carrying the load for me while I've been gone. You two are great.

May God turn all our weaknesses into upgrades,
Whit, Adrienne, and Benjamin

9 comments:

Cheryl L. Stansberry said...

I'm so glad things are going well as little Ben is getting stronger. Take care of yourself and I hope you get to feeling better soon.

EandJTrygg said...

My wife, who's a pediatrician, thought your descriptions are pretty funny, and rather accurate. We're praying for you guys!

- Erik

P.S. -- I saw Hal in Quebec when I was up there for the Chronicle in October

Tanya Blair said...

The mickey button, huh? That's great! Hang in there, Whit, and I hope that your shingles are gone very soon!! I love the pics of Ben!! He is just adorable! We're still praying for your family and sending lots of hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm still amazed and inspired by the sheer amount of people that Ben's story and life has touched worldwide. God truely is captivated and I am amazed by the work of his hand. So much good came from your son's story and that's a powerful and humbling thing.
God Bless!
Dan Mowday, Gosford, Australia.

Anonymous said...

That should say "Captivating" not captivated... my bad.

vickiecorum said...

Whit, I am so glad that your boss has been so great. The wonderful thing is that through your blog and through yours and Adriene's examples you have ministered and been witnesses for God in the best possible way. Ben too is an awesome testimony to the power of God. Glad you are feeling better and on the mend. Sorry I will have to say no to scratching your back too. TAke care and God bless. Sounds like you have the best model in Ben. Love you guys, Vickie, Joe, and Aaron

Jason said...

We love keeping up with Ben's progress. We continue to pray for him and you all. Love Nicole & Jason Whaley

ann said...

How is Father Whit feeling? Hope well... I'll try to get up there and visit you guys soon! Love you very much!

mitzi schireman said...

We have never met but I have been following Baby Ben's progress when a request for prayers came through Kay & Noel Malan. I continue to pray for him, and I am delighted about Ben's progress. Here's the point of my comment. I am very familiar with the Mic-key Feeding ports. This may sound off the wall, but in May 2006 while in Arizona, it was necessary for my cat to have a feeding tube. She, too, had the long tube at first that was a nightmare to handle. In July in Washington state a more progressive critical care vet installed a pediatric Mic-key feeding port. Those devices are not cheap! Later, her size had to be changed and I checked out eBay and bought five of them at a very reasonable price from a mother whose baby had outgrown them. My kitty no longer needs them and I have three of them left in their original sterile packaging. The sizes are all 16Fr 1.5 cm. I will be happy to send them to you gratis if you think you can use them. I even learned how to change out the port myself when I returned to Arizona and the vet here had never dealt with one. So, if you need these Mic-key ports, just send me your address and I'll send them to you.
May God continue to bless you and your Baby Ben.
Mitzi Schireman
mschireman@yahoo.com