Saturday, February 10, 2007

They're Not Just For Roofs Anymore

So I'm almost certain that I've come down with shingles. It doesn't seem like the name 'shingles' adequately describes the infection that I've got, and I'm thinking about petitioning the American Medical Association to change the name to "Half Of My Body Is On Fire". Maybe one of you out there who knows more Greek than I do could translate that into an impressive-sounding medical term.

I've been reading about what causes shingles, and the only cause that fits me is stress. Other than hunting through my food for assorted toxins (no thanks to you Shawn Mayes) and waiting impatiently for the new Lost episodes, I can't quite put my finger on
what has been stressing me out over the last month. I don't want to compare my life to Job's, but if a barbarian horde comes along and carries off my cat and my television, I think the comparisons will be justified.

All kidding aside, the next few weeks will be tough because I'm supposed to avoid contact with infants, which is not conducive to me being a helpful spouse. On top of that, my friend Kari Lockwood's father, Karl King passed away on Thursday. I have great memories of playing late-night Risk with him while we chowed down on Allsup's burritos. Karl had many health problems and persevered through years of pain with a Christ-like attitude and a great sense of humor. Kari and her husband Ira are preparing to move to Vienna as missionaries, and if you want to leave a message of encouragement for them, you can do so at their team website.

Uncle Chris and Auntie Michelle sent a few pictures that I really like so I'll leave you with these:

Front Row: Auntie Michelle, Mr. Shingles, Adrienne, Ben, and Uncle Les
Back Row: Grandpa Kent, Grandma Merle, Uncle Chris, Ouma Kay, and Oupa Noel

Of course, we get the whole family smiling together in the same picture, and Ben pulls a face.

May your only shingles be on your house,
Whit, Adrienne, and Benjamin


5 comments:

ann said...

Whit! How awful! Shingles is one of the few things I haven't had, but I've heard it's pretty awful. Take care of yourself.

Joy and Rob said...

I'm so sorry you've got shingles,Whit, and hope you're feeling a lot better soon. I understand it is really painful.

I really like the photo of you all together, and to see Noel back with all the family.

Love to you all.

vickiecorum said...

Shingles, ouch, I know that you will perservere and find ways to help Adrienne. Heard you had a wonderful evening with Bobby and Melissa the other night. Wonderful.. It so good to see Ben being held with family. WE will pray for your healing Whit because Shingles are nothing to take lightly. God bless and keep you all. Love ya, Vickie, Joe and Aaron. :)

Kristova said...

I'm not possitive But I think you might have Hemisusoma Puryitus. coming from the Greek words ἥμισυ σῶμα πῦρ, Which translates "half body fire".
At least that is the best I could come up with, given my limited knowledge of greek. I hope you get to feeling better soon! And let me know if that horde attacks, I'll at least try to help save the cat!
Love ya!

Patricia said...

I hadn't heard about Kari's dad--Ira's been pretty good at keeping me updated otherwise. I'll definitely keep praying for them.

And for you! Both my grandmas had shingles at the same time, and I've heard how painfully irritating they can be.

And soon Ben will be old enough to take to Disneyland Paris. :)