Thursday, January 11, 2007

World View

After reading all of your comments over the past few days, I wish I could sit down and talk to each one of you face to face, especially those of you who ate all of my Christmas candy. The break room is a privilege, my friends, not a right.

I witnessed an event the other day that blew away my previous parenting world view. As you know, we've been praying that Benjamin would someday be able to drink milk; well there he was in his new crib with a tube in one nostril happily drinking milk through his nose. That was not in any of the parenting books I read, and I want my money back. God certainly has a sense of humor when he answers our prayers. Unfortunately, Ben's tummy hasn't handled the milk too well up to this point. I find it strange that the law of physics which claims that matter cannot be created or destroyed does not apply when feeding milk to an infant. The way I see it, at least three times the amount of milk that is fed to the baby comes back up the other way. I'm sure there are some useful scientific applications we can derive from this principle, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Benjamin also had his first official weigh-in yesterday. He can now
officially be considered a NICU super-heavyweight at 8 pounds 14 ounces. Apparently Ben shares his father's love of the late night snack while no one is looking. I have requested that the chips and salsa be removed from the NICU kitchen until further notice (for his sake and mine).

Some of you have been asking that more pictures be posted. Your wish is my command - eventually. Today Ben had his first professional photo shoot done by Jenny Connell, a friend of ours from Memorial Drive. She does great work; if any of you in the Tulsa area ever want incredible pictures of your newborn baby, she's the one to go to. As soon as we get them, I'll put some out there for all of you.

I've let this go too long, but I want to give a huge thank you to all of our brothers and sisters at Memorial Drive Church of Christ. We showed up on Sunday, and you poured out your love on us until our empty tanks were full again. So many of you knew exactly what to say to encourage us, and it was just another reminder of why we fell in love with all of you in the first place. You have taken care of our food and transportation needs, and you have built us up so we can face the challenges of the week ahead. You are the hands and feet of Jesus to us.

I'd also like to brag on our preacher, Terry Rush, who has preached several sermons that have prepared us for the storm we are in. In one of these sermons, Terry challenged us to imagine how we would deal with tragedy in our own lives after several people in our congregation passed away within a short time of each other. He didn't want this to be a morbid exercise, but he wanted us to envision ourselves doing things God's way even under terrible circumstances. I imagined losing both Adrienne and Benjamin during Ben's delivery. I saw myself disappearing into my bedroom at the house and not coming out for months, not talking to anyone, not doing anything. This exercise made me realize that I didn't want to end up like that if something bad happened. God deserves better than that from me. Thankfully, that worst nightmare has not occurred, and we can rest in your arms as we deal with the frustration of not being able to take our baby home. Thank you Terry for preparing us for this, and thank you church family all over the world for not letting us silently disappear when trouble came our way.

May you have the same peace that you give us,
Whit, Adrienne, and Benjamin

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

Can't wait to see those pictures of this beautiful boy! And Whit, thank you for having this blog and allowing us to walk alongside with you and your family during this time. Your faith is astounding. We love you guys!

Michael & Jennifer Michener said...

My Dearest Whit and Adrienne,
It is in times like these that we begin to understand the family that God instituted at our creation. Individuals, were are made, but to live and love individually, was never in God's plan. He made us each with a piece of Himself. Not only made in His image, but blessed with His characteristics . . . each person with a different mix than any other. It is when we gather together and share life as God intended that we glimpse the true image in whom we were created. Look not only to each other, but also to those around you when you are in need of love and support. God has given you His family to weather the storms of life right along side you. We are to be extensions of His love for you. Remember always that in the simple kindnesses of this world, you get to see God showing how much he loves you one more time.
We are with you every second in spirit. We love you. We are praying for you. We ache with you each time you exit the NICU doors empathizing with the pain of leaving your child. We rejoice with you when your precious one wriggles and opens his eyes to see his Mommy and Daddy standing guard while he heals. You are never alone. Even in the darkest moments when no one is nearby, God is there. And through Him, we are there with you, too.
With all our love,
Michael & Jennifer (Corum) Michener

Charlotte Postma said...

Dear Whit and Adrienne,
I received the link to your blog this morning and since reading the first entry it's been very difficult to concentrate on work and the things I need to get done here today!
First of all to Adrienne: words can not do justice to the gamut of emotions you must be feeling right now; please just know that I am thinking about you and sending huge amounts of thoughts and prayers your way. It's crazy to think that only 'yesterday' we were kids running around Moema and Oupa's garden with hardly a care in the world. I am so happy that you have an incredibly strong and loving network of family and friends there with you and around the world.
To Whit: although we have never met I feel like I know you after reading your blog entries. You have an incredible way with words and your love for Adrienne and Benjamin made me well up with emotion on more than one occassion - not a great thing when you work in an open plan office :)

Please just know that you, Adrienne and Benjamin are in my thoughts and that I, like everyone else, wait with eager anticipation for the next bit of good news.

All my love,
Charlotte

Chloe said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!! Just got done feeling sorry for my own medical garbage that has been placed upon me and said,'Think I'll check out the blog, and see what rascally Benjamin is up too." Concerning the Lord's work in all of us and the way he is just healing that sweet baby boy daily, by the minute. I am once again overwhelmed by his grace and mercy, and the selfpity I was feeling is gone like a flash upon reading the latest entry on Benjamin and your own struggles..God has a special hold on this baby of yours and I believe he is here for a great purpose, even in these unsteady first days of life..Even if it is to raid the kitchen for salsa and chips( Whit- stop blaming the baby and wipe that drop of goo off your collar.) or just to show us who claim to be rock steady in our faith , That Jesus can and will heal those who ask.. Just asking sometimes seems to hold us back.. There is a song that lets me remember that I have no reason to hold back in the asking, He is always here with us and holding us close.

To you, O Lord, I lift my soul
In you, O God, I place my trust
Do not let me be put to shame
Nor let my enemies triumph over me

My hope is you
Show me your ways
Guide me in Truth
In all my days
My hope is you

I am, O Lord, filled with your love
You are, O God, my salvation
Guard my life and rescue me
My broken spirit shouts
My mended heart cries out...

Third Day - Conspiracy No. 5

enough babble from me.. hugs for all.. chloe

Danna said...

Hey there...just found your blog. We went out of town the day after Ben was born, but have kept up with emails etc. And just so you know, we have been praying every day! :o) We love you guys and cannot wait to meet your miracle baby!

vickiecorum said...

Praise God, Whit, I have always thought that babies have a secret compartment so that more milk can come up than stay down. Ben is just protesting over removing his high fat diet. Ben you may as wll adjust, even babies have to watch their fats these days.
Adrienne, I am so glad that you were able to go to church and receive the blessings that our father oradained for us. Our heavenly daddy knew that just as he desires love and companionship, we would need it even more. It is so awesome to read of the progressof your little one. Hold close to one another and know that you are loved and there are prayers being said around the world for your precious, though rambunctious, little boy. Take care and God bless, Joe, Vickie and Aaron

Noel Malan said...

Now that I am separated from the action in Tulsa and am back in Maine, I especially appreciate this blog. I do, of course get some inside info from Kay, but that's one of the privileges of being a new grandfather!

What I especially appreciate are all the people who are praying and rejoicing with the Gatewood/Malan family. Thank you for your support and best wishes for Ben, Whit, Adrienne and the rest of the family.

Positively,
Noel Malan
(Ben's proud Oupa!)

tim rush said...

Amazing! God is showing himself to be amazing through your example of Faith, Peace and more Peace.

God bless you.

Chris Moyer said...

Whit, Adrienne and Ben,

Know that we love you and are praying for Ben and your family.

I know there is not much I can say but I've been blessed to know you guys and see God continually working in your lives. This is another example of him working, healing, and taking care of his children.

Love,

Chris and Andrea Moyer

joelcran4d said...

Dear Whit and Adrienne,

Lydia, our first and only thus far, just turned 8 years old. I can remember when she was 1. Not just 1 year old, but worse: she had an 'Apgar' score of 1. As you know, a score of zero means lifeless (whereas 10 means 'lookout, folks: Junior has just taken command of all your time and energy).

1.
4:25 AM, October 31st, 1998.

1.
A traumatized woman lay near motionless after six days of labor and several months of 'pre-partum' depression.

1.
A tired and confused dad wondering where the joyous photo-op of mom cradling her new born went and video capturing laughter and crying.

A crisis pediatrician just "Happened" to be on hand (since, you know, God just 'HAPPENS to be everywhere). When Lydia emerged with the cord wrapped around her neck *twice* they cut the cord and whisked her over to the heat table. He jumpstarted her lungs with a hand pump. Then they rushed her down a long hall to NICU. I waited a few minutes... 15... 30... 60... and finally I got to see her.

She was going to be OK, but she almost wasn't.

Despite all this I can only barely relate to the emotions you've experienced these past few weeks. God Is Good - All The Time. He will see Benjamin through this according to His perfect purposes. Your attitude reflected in these writings is one of faith and confidence. Or an utter overdose of caffiene, sugar, and Tums.

Your extended family at the Antioch Church of Christ has you all in your prayers, including Noel and Kay and your other relatives for the hardship and mystery.

Joe & Beth (Grass) Cranford
formerly of Bangor, Maine
currently of Smyrna, TN
eventually of... ?

Zech 3:17