Thursday, January 18, 2007

Taken

My heart is heavy this evening because one of my childhood friends was suddenly taken from this world yesterday afternoon. Adam Langford, who played on my soccer team back in the day and was in my class at Oklahoma Christian, died in a violent car accident in Uganda. Adam moved there a year ago to work with the church in Jinja so that he could bring hope to people who didn't know Jesus, especially those who had contracted AIDS and had been shunned by society.

Here's a quote from his last blog entry:
While I will never stop trying to eliminate the suffering in this world,...I am beginning to believe we need more people who are willing to enter into the suffering of others whether they can help or not. I want to choose to suffer for the sake of others. I am not always sure how to do that or what it looks like, but most days I wake up and can’t think of anything else to do. Uganda has problems, I pray that God will solve them, but until He does I will also pray for the strength to suffer.

Here is a man who saw suffering in Africa and poured out his life so that others might know that our Lord is a Lord who has suffered with his people. May we have the compassion and the courage to suffer as Jesus Christ and his follower Adam Langford have.

Adam's brother Ben also works in Jinja, Uganda and receives some support from Memorial Drive. If you could visit his site at
http://www.jinjamissions.org and leave him a note of encouragement, I'm sure he and his family would appreciate it.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, our Ben continues to look healthier and healthier each day. Yesterday, he had a procedure to put a feeding tube directly into his tummy because he was still having problems keeping the milk down that he's been drinking through his nose (imagine that). I think you'd have acid reflux too if you drank milk that way. This new tube should allow him to put on weight much more rapidly. Ben is now set for the challenge of gaining 42 times his current body weight in order to exceed the 350 pound limit of his current crib and attain "living legend" status in the NICU.

During Ben's procedure, we had the chance to sit down with another doctor and discuss what happens next. If all goes according to plan, Ben should have an MRI next week, and if that goes well and he handles the feeding tube,
we could take Ben home in 10 days! The surgeon wants to wait until Ben is sixth months old to remove the cyst so please pray that we will do a good job of taking care of Ben's special needs at home until he's ready for the surgery.

Your prayers have been answered again and again; a week ago we could not have dreamed of bringing Ben home so soon. Thanks for sharing this bittersweet day with me.

In memory of Adam,
Whit, Adrienne, and Benjamin

13 comments:

Noel Malan said...

As Paul said, "For me to life is Christ, and to die is gain."

Adam has realized that "gain" in God's service. And the good news, Whit, is that you will be parted for only a short time.

And with the loss of a friend, God gives us someone to take his place - on our case, it is Ben.

I have found a passage which I will in future refer to as "Ben's passage".

In John 9:3 Jesus said to the disciples, in answer to their question regarding who was at fault for the young epileptic boy's condition, that "this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

So for all you Peninsula alumni, add John 9:3 to my short list of favorite passages, which, of course, includes the metamorphoo verse! It is sure to be found in most of my future lessons - one way or another!

Positively,
Oupa Noel
Brewer, Maine

Vanessa said...

We talked about Adam and his work in chapel yesterday here at OC. My prayers are with you Whit.

Chloe said...

Whit and Adrienne, so sorry to hear of your friend passing away, but what a gift he shared with the people of Uganda.. Haven't hit the site of his brother's yet, but will do before the day sets.. My heart goes out to all who loved him and called him friend, brother,son.. glad to hear that Ben will be needing new clothes soon, due to the massive weight gain he will be undergoing..lol.. do they make a 6x diaper?.. Grace and Peace, chloe

Wyatt and Tammy said...

Dear Family,

I am sorry to hear about your friend. What wonderful work he did for the lord.

We are praying for you all to be able to bring Ben home and that things will go well. He is a beautiful little man.

Our love to your all

Wyatt and Tammy

Australia

diana said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like he was the type of friend everyone should have. I will add his family to my prayers.

I beleive Noel found the perfect scripture for Ben. God is showing his amazing powers in your son. He will also give you the knowledge and skills to take care of Ben's needs when you take him home.

Diana

Clint said...

Whit and Adrienne,

I was visiting Terry and Kathy Langford Tuesday night after the news of Adam when I overhead another conversation across the living room about Adam's friend who has a baby Ben in Tulsa in the hospital! I joined their conversation and we all agreed that you are special people. Don't you love the way God works through His family connections!

May His family continue to come together in prayer and encouragement for the Langford family and for your family.

Dawn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend... what a loss to earth, but what a gain in heaven! God bless you all!
*Dawn*

Michael & Jennifer Michener said...

Romans 8:38-39
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Dear Sweet Whit & Adrienne,
No, the world does not stop simply because we may be going through life altering events. Time marches on, and Satan being his evil self never skips a beat. It is in times like these that we sometimes begin to feel that God's blessings of love and compassion are not blessings, but can be turned to curse by Satan's evil touch. However, it is in these painful times that we see Christ's triumph come to light. For we do not mock God and turn away from Him at the death of our brother; instead, we mourn his loss as Christ mourned the loss of His dear friend, and we weep at the deep gash that is left in our hearts with each loved one's passing. It is in this grieving, this admittance of love and selfless caring for another, that we look Satan square in the eye and say to him, "You have not beaten me. You never will. The one you took loved God more than even his dear mother, and as did he, so do I. Get behind me Satan. The pain I feel now is greatly outweighed by the JOY my brother and I feel by our Father's side. You have made me stronger. You have lost, yet again!" Praise be to God for the sacrifice of His son. Through Him we may all take comfort in the love and peace of our Father. May God's loving arms wrap around you, Whit. May you open your heart to Him that he may fill it with His empathizing and ever so compassionate peace. May you take comfort in knowing that for all of his suffering while here on earth, Adam will never again shed a tear of pain. He is at peace. He now can rest.
After saying all of that, I have to let you know that I weep with you. Loss is no foreign foe in my life. Know that God is with you through the family He has set for you here on Earth. We love you. We are here for you in whatever you need. You are not alone.

Hallelujah! Your baby boy has been in your arms. A greater joy it is hard to find than for a parent to hold his child for the very first time! Hearts begin to heal and holes begin to fill with the feel of Benjamin resting in your arms. Thank you for sharing your joy through the 17,000 words you sent. Tears of joy stream down my face at the sight of your precious baby boy in his Mommy's and Daddy's arms. May God be with you all and continue to heal Benjamin at His amazingly fast pace.
We love you all. A peck on Little (not little for long if you plan on getting him to that 350 lb. weight limit) Benjamin’s forehead for us, if you don't mind. Hugs to both of you.
Love,
Michael & Jennifer (Corum) Michener

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

Joy and Rob said...

So sorry to hear about Adam,what a wonderful person he was who loved the Lord and showed that in his life. He is now with the Lord and as Noel said "you will only be parted for a short time". I know you will miss him greatly but rejoice in his life now.

Your little Ben is certainly doing so well, we are so pleased and are praying that he will be home soon.

Love to you all Joy and Rob xx

Amanda said...

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

vickiecorum said...

What a wonderful family God has blessed you with! Whit and Adrienne, and Ben, I am so sorry to hear about Adam's death. I wrote and email to Ben and will try to keep encouraging them.
it can be hard to stay focused and continue when dealing with the death of a loved one.

Again praise God for Ben's progress. I guess we had better get the baby gift mailed if Ben is going to be able to wear it. I am so glad that he is becoming stronger. Joe and I pray that you will soon get to rock him at home and sing to him. I also recomment the Baby Einstein dvd's and of course the veggie tales. WE love you and pray continuously for you and your precious little boy. The Langford family is in our prayers also. WE love you! God Bless,and Keep you. Joe, Vickie, and Aaron

Jennifer said...

Dear Whit and Adrienne,

I learned about the passing of Adam and Moses in chapel last week. It didn't occured to me that you were friends from childhood. I am so sorry!

I am so glad to see the beautiful pictures you posted, and continue to rejoice with you over Ben's recovery. Your strong faith in God is being rewarded daily.

Take care.

Jennifer, Sam, and Chris

Rici said...

Whit,
I"m on my way to Adams memorial at East County this morning. He is such a wonderful man that made everyone he met feel like they had been friends for 20 years! He obviously touched many, many people. I'm sorry for the loss of our friend on earth, but he is living the life he was meant for right at this moment! That is such an exciting thought to me. Congrats on your baby's health and I hope he becomes a porker in no time! Blessings, Rici